The world of social media is constantly changing, and keeping up with the latest features can become overwhelming. To optimize your social media efforts, we’ve put together a comprehensive cheat sheet with all the social media image sizes you may need.
You can download the Social Media Image Size cheat sheet on the bottom right of this page or visit our Digital Marketing Toolbox page.
Based on these specifications, you’ll be able to design and schedule posts on your favorite social media channels with full confidence that the quality and dimensions are a perfect fit.
Now, let's do a deep dive into all the major social media channels!
- Must be at least 180 x 180 pixels
- Appears on page as 160 x 160 pixels
- Photo thumbnail will appear throughout Facebook at 32 x 32 pixels
Cover Photo: 820 x 312px
Your Facebook cover photo will only appear on your Facebook timeline, but it is a lot bigger than the profile picture, which gives you more freedom to choose something creative. Where your profile picture might be a good choice for a picture of you, or a brand logo, use this space to post something that speaks more toward you as an individual or as a brand.
- Appear on page at 820 x 312 pixels - Anything less will be stretched
- Minimum size of 399 x 150 pixels
- Smartphones display as 640 x 360 pixels - For best results, upload an RGB JPG file less than 100 KB
- Images with a logo or text may be best as a PNG file
Shared Images: 1200 x 630px
A shared image is one of the most common forms of sharing on Facebook. These images will always appear on your timeline, and ideally they will show up in most of your followers’ News Feeds — though with the decrease in organic reach, it’s unlikely that everyone will see your post. The more people engage with your post, the more likely it is that the rest of your followers and their followers will see that activity.
- Recommended upload size of 1,200 x 630 pixels
- Will appear in feed at a max width of 470 pixels (will scale to a max of 1:1)
- Will appear on page at a max width of 504 pixels (will scale to a max of 1:1)
Shared Link: 1200 x 627px
Another great tool in your Facebook belt is the ability to share a link. It’s very similar to posting a shared image, but it gives you even more fields to work with. You can choose to create a shared link with a small square image to the left and text on the right, or with a larger rectangular image on top with text underneath.
- Recommended upload size of 1200 x 627 pixels
- Square photo: minimum 154 x 154 pixels in feed
- Square photo: minimum 116 x 116 pixels on page
- Rectangular photo: minimum 470 x 246 pixels in feed
- Rectangular photo: minimum 484 x 252 pixels on page
- Facebook will scale photos under the minimum dimensions. For better results, increase image resolution at the same scale as the minimum size
Highlighted Image: 1200 x 717px
Did your company turn its first profit? Hit its 10th, 20th or 100th employee? A milestone is a great time to create a highlighted image. This image is going to be housed on your personal timeline, but it is going to take up a great deal more space than a shared link or image, so it’s a good place to celebrate the victories that keep you going!
- Will appear on your page at 843 x 504 pixels
- Choose a higher resolution at that scale for better quality
Event Image: 1920 x 1080px
Facebook Events help capture the attention of users and cut through the noise on Facebook. Reminders are sent to your audience and having a good space with an even better image is important. Make sure you have the right dimensions down for a Facebook Event cover photo.
- Facebook will scale down to minimum dimensions of 470 × 174 pixels
- Shows in feed: 470 × 174 pixels
With 467 million registered users, LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network. Where other social networks may be good drivers of traffic and customers, LinkedIn is a great place for you to source great employees and to connect with other industry leaders.
Personal Background Image: 1200 x 717px
LinkedIn’s background image is a newer feature for your personal profile. It’s a little bit trickier to find something that really fits that space well, but if you get it right, your profile will look great.
- Recommended 1584 x 396 pixels Maximum size of 4 MB
- Image types include: JPG, PNG or GIF
Profile Image: 400 x 400px
LinkedIn started using a new layout for personal profiles and kept the box logo with company pages (more on that below). However, the personal profile dimensions for LinkedIn is very straightforward. This is the main image that represents you on your personal profile. So anytime someone takes a look at your profile for some quick info, this is the prominent image that represents you. It’s important to get the size right.
- Recommended between 400 x 400 & 20,000 x 20,000 pixels
- Minimum 200 x 200 pixels
- 10 MB maximum file size JPG, GIF or PNG files only
Company Background Image: 1536 x 768px
Unlike the personal background image, the company or standard business background image covers the entire top of the page. The image appears much larger than the personal dimensions, giving businesses a bit more space.
- Recommended: 1536 x 768 pixels. Minimum size of 1192 x 220 Maximum 4 MB
- Appears as 1400 x 425 pixels
- Image types include PNG, JPG or GIF
Standard Logo: 400 x 400px
One of the two brand logos that you should be uploading to LinkedIn is the standard company logo. This is the bigger of the two and is going to show up right next to your brand name on your LinkedIn homepage. This image also appears in the “Companies you may want to follow” section. The more enticing the photo, the more likely you’ll gain followers.
- Recommended 400 x 400 pixels
- Minimum 300 x 300; resized to fit
- Maximum 4 MB (square layout)
- PNG, JPG or GIF
Business Banner Image: 400 x 400px
The banner image is one of the newest and most prominent of the images that you can use on LinkedIn. This image appears when a user visits your brand’s homepage. Since this image is located on your homepage it’s likely the visitor is actively searching for your brand, so use this opportunity to reel them in with a great image.
- Minimum 646 x 220 pixels - Maximum 2 MB
- Landscape Layout
- PNG, JPG or GIF
Hero Image: 974 x 330px
Finding great people to work for your company is one of the most important aspects of LinkedIn. You can have a separate tab solely based on career opportunities at your company. At the top of this page sits a banner that is bigger than any of the other images on LinkedIn.
You can use this space to choose a picture that speaks to your company in order to attract some great potential employees.
- Minimum 974 x 330 pixels
- Maximum 2 MB
- Landscape Layout
- PNG, JPG or GIF
Square Logo: 60 x 60px
This is the brand image that shows up when your company is searched. Make sure you use something recognizable to your brand let customers know which company is yours.
- 60 x 60 pixels (resized to fit)
- Maximum 2 MB
- PNG, JPG or GIF
Don’t let its logo fool you–Twitter is not just for the birds. In fact, with 313 million monthly active users, Twitter is one of the social media networks that your customers will most often use to discuss your brand. And recently, Twitter made some big changes to its overall layout.
Header Photo: 1500 x 500px
Your header photo is the image that spans the top of your Twitter profile page. It’s quite a bit larger than your profile photo so make sure to save it at the highest resolution possible. Because you have more room to be creative with this picture and it will likely be the first thing your visitors see, make it something captivating.
- Recommended 1500 x 500 pixels
- Maximum file size of 10 MB
- JPG, GIF, or PNG
Profile Photo: 400 x 400px
Your Twitter profile photo is the main image that represents you or your brand across the network. It’s going to be seen across the site in a number of places by a number of people so make sure it’s of the highest quality. Here’s the places your profile photo will be visible on the site.
- On Your Page: The largest display of your profile picture is on your homepage and can be viewed by your followers as well as individuals who stumble upon your page.
- In-Stream: A smaller version of your profile picture appears in a follower’s Twitter stream every time you Tweet. It also appears in the stream of your followers’ followers every time you’re Retweeted.
- Who to Follow: Your profile picture is also going to appear next to a link to your page in the “Who to follow” box. This is located directly to the right of your twitter stream. Choose a recognizable image here.
- Square Image – recommended 400 x 400 pixels
- Maximum file size 100 KB
- JPG, GIF, or PNG
In-Stream Photo: 440 x 220px
Twitter users can attach photos to any of their Tweets. Luckily, Twitter updated to no longer count characters against your Tweet limit. Uploaded photos will appear in your followers’ streams and the streams of their followers (if Retweeted).
It’s important to note that Twitter may collapse your photo into a smaller version to fit in a user’s stream. Make sure Twitter displays the portion of the photo you want followers to see by setting the width of your image to fit the minimum requirements. Also, horizontally center your content to avoid odd cropping.
- Min to appear expanded 440 x 220 pixels
- Max to appear expanded 1024 x 512 pixels
- Appears in stream collapsed at 506 x 253 pixels
- Max file size of 5 MB for photos, and 3 MB for animated GIFs
Instagram is one of the most popular photo-sharing social networks with more than 600 million users. It’s the best place to showcase your visual creativity.
Profile Image: 110 x 110px
Instagram is based on visuals, which should be an indication of how important it is to follow these image size guidelines. Ensure your profile image is recognizable so users can find you even easier through search or explore.
- Appear on your home page at 110 x 110 pixels
- Square photo – maintain an aspect ratio of 1:1
Photo Thumbnails: 161 x 161px
When someone goes to your page, they’ll be presented with all of your content arranged in rows of thumbnails. These smaller renditions of your images and videos will expand when clicked and include a place for people to comment.
- The thumbnails will appear on the page at 161 x 161 pixels
- Square photo – maintain an aspect ratio of 1:1 ratio
Photo Size: 1080 x 1080px
Instagram is all about the images and videos presented in your followers’ feed. In fact, Instagram higher resolution photos when taken from the native application. If you decided to upload a photo or video from any other device, the resolution will be much lower.
- The size of Instagram images has been increased to 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Instagram still scales these photos down to 612 x 612 pixels
- Appear in feed at 510 x 510 pixels
- Square or rectangle photos: maintain an aspect ratio between 1.91:1 and 4:5
- Smaller featured header images appear as 204 x 204 pixels; larger featured header images appear as 409 x 409 pixels
Instagram Stories: 1080 x 1920px
With more than 300 million daily users, Instagram Stories are a popular source of visuals on the app. There are both video and image options available to publish. And while this feature is meant to be ephemeral, it’s possible to upload your own content.
- Recommended resolution is 1080 x 1920 pixels
- Minimum resolution is 600 x 1067
- Aspect ratio is 9:16
- Max file size is 4 GB
YouTube has more than 1 billion unique users every month and is available on hundreds of millions of devices. More than 1 million brands have already realized that YouTube is a great opportunity to reach their fan-base.
Channel Cover Photo: 2560 x 1440px
Spice up your YouTube channel with some “channel art.” When users click through your YouTube videos to your channel, some appealing images could entice them to stay on your page longer and watch more of your videos.
There are a lot of different platforms and devices that users can stream YouTube on so it’s important that your brand has a photo optimized for each one
- Tablet display: 1855 x 423 pixels
- Mobile display: 1546 x 423 pixels
- TV display: 2560 x 1440 pixels
- Desktop: 2560 x 423 (1546 x 423 pixels are always visible); Flexible Area (may be visible): 507 pixels to the left and 507 pixels to the right of the safe area
Channel Profile: 800 x 800px
YouTube allows you to select different profile image borders, but the dimensions stay the same. Ensure your YouTube has a profile image set up before you select your border.
- Recommended 800 x 800 pixels. Displays as 98 x 98 pixels
- JPG, GIF, BMP or PNG
Video Uploads: 1280 x 720px
Uploading your content to YouTube is the one of the most important parts of establishing your presence on the site. Videos can tell viewers something about you as a person, or it could show off something that your business might offer.
- Videos must maintain a 16:9 aspect ratio
- In order to qualify as full HD, your dimensions must be at least 1280 x 720 pixels
With 13 million registered users, XING is one of the largest professional networks. It's focused in the DACH region (Germany, Austria, Switzerland). Where other social networks may be good drivers of traffic and customers, XING is a great place for you to source great employees and to connect with other industry leaders.
Profile Photo: 1024 x 1024px
The personal profile dimensions for XING is very straightforward. This is the main image that represents you on your personal profile. So anytime someone takes a look at your profile for some quick info, this is the prominent image that represents you. It’s important to get the size right.
- Recommended resolution: 1024 x 1024 px
- JPG, BMP, PNG (max. 20 MB)
- The XING-profile image is a business image. The user is clearly recognizable
- Use of images or illustrations of other people, other characters (animals, fantasy characters, etc.), or logos as profile images is not allowed
Header Images: 1280 x 624px
Your header photo is the image that spans the top of your XING profile page. It’s quite a bit larger than your profile photo so make sure to save it at the highest resolution possible. Because you have more room to be creative with this picture and it will likely be the first thing your visitors see, make it something captivating.
- JPG, BMP, PNG (max 20 MB)
Use images highlighting your professional skills such as work samples.
Event Header Image: 984 x 311px & Logo image: 256 x 256px
- To create an event, you need a background image 984 x 311px and a logo image 256 x 256px
- JPG, BMP, PNG (max 5 MB)
Did you enjoy this post? Then make sure to subscribe and don't miss out on future updates!